The Academy (Akademia Platonos) - probably named after the hero Hekademos, who had a cult grove here - lay 1.5 km (1 mi.) north-west of the Dipylon (a double fortified gateway with two inner and two outer towers, see Kerameikos), with which it was linked by a road 40 m (130 ft) wide. From 387 bc onwards this was the meeting-place of Plato and his pupils, the first academy in the world.
Excavations in this outlying district of Athens, beyond the railway line, have revealed remains of a square hall (between Efklfdou and Tripoleos streets), immediately north of this a small temple which may have been dedicated to the hero Hekademos, and a large complex of the Roman imperial period built round an inner courtyard.
Here, too, was found a structure measuring 8.5 by 4.5 m (28 by 15 ft) now roofed over, the oldest building so far discovered in Athens, dating from the Early Bronze Age (2300-2100 BC).
From the area of the Academy Tripoleos Street turns north-west to the nearby hill of Kolonos Hippios, which gave its name to the deme (district) of Kolonos, home of the great dramatist Sophocles (496-406 bc) and the setting of his play "Oedipus on Kolonos", written at the age of 90. The hill is now surrounded by a rather poor quarter of Athens. On it are tombstones commemorating two 19th c. archaeologists, Carl Otfried Miiller (1797-1840) and Frangois Lenormant (1837-83).